Baktroban ointment is a broad-spectrum antibiotic.
The mechanism of action of the drug is aimed at activity against strains of Staphylococcus aureus, Staphyloccocus epidermidis, Streptococus spp. This drug with antimicrobial and bactericidal action is designed specifically for external use. The medicine is used both as an independent medicine and in complex therapy.
On this page you will find all the information about Bactroban: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Bactroban ointment. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Antibiotic for external use.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Bactroban? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 500 rubles.
Release form and composition
Bactroban is available as a 2% nasal ointment and 2% ointment for external use.
The main active ingredient is mupirocin.
The active substance of the drug - mupirocin - refers to broad-spectrum antibiotics. The drug is designed specifically for outdoor use. The active ingredient inhibits the increase in the amount of protein in the cells of microorganisms, has a bacteriostatic and bactericidal action (subject to an increase in dosage).
- Based on the research, it became known that the cross-resistance of the drug to other antimicrobial agents was not found.
According to the instructions, Bactroban active against streptococci, staphylococci, diplococci genus Neisseria (gonorrhea), meningococcus, Haemophilus influenzae, agents of opportunistic infections, infectious diseases, respiratory, mucous, urogenital chronic inflammatory, intestinal diseases, pertussis coli, Enterobacter, tsitrobakter some types of protea.
Indications for use
Ointment for external use:
- Therapy of secondary skin infections: minor (not requiring hospitalization) burns and wounds, infected trauma (insect bites, minor abrasions), infected eczema.
- Therapy for primary skin infections: ecthyma, folliculitis, impetigo, furunculosis (including auricular boils and external auditory canal).
- Bacterial lesions and their complications resulting from cuts, minor abrasions and wounds are for prevention.
Intranasal ointment: indications for administration are local infections of the nasal cavity, triggered by mupirocin-sensitive microorganisms, as well as carriage of staphylococci (including multi-resistant and methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus).
Baktroban is contraindicated, according to the instructions, in case of hypersensitivity to mupirocin, and / or to the auxiliary components of the drug.
Ointment is used with caution for external use on large surfaces of the skin, with increased absorption of polyethylene glycol (through wounds or other damage to the epidermis) in patients with moderate and severe renal failure. Since macrogol (an auxiliary substance of an external preparation) is polyethylene glycol, which is excreted from the body through the kidneys.
Data on the use of ointment during pregnancy and during breastfeeding is not. Therefore, treatment with Bactroban is recommended only under the supervision of a physician, if the possible risk to the child is insignificant, in comparison with the benefit of therapy for his mother.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
No data on the use of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
In animal studies, no signs of reproductive toxicity were found. However, as with the use of other drugs, the use of the drug Bactroban during pregnancy and during breastfeeding is possible only if the intended benefit to the mother outweighs any potential risk to the fetus.
Breastfeeding should be stopped for the period of use of the drug to prevent bacterial infection of nipple cracks.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Bactroban ointment is intended for topical use only. As a rule, apply a small amount of ointment to the affected areas of the skin from 1 to 3 times per day. The recommended duration of treatment is from 7 to 10 days.
- Ointment should be applied with a thin layer, it is allowed to apply a bandage over the ointment. Before applying the drug, clean the area of the skin that will be treated with ointment. Wash hands thoroughly after use. Avoid getting ointment in the eyes. The duration of therapy and the scheme of application of ointment Bactroban is determined by the doctor.
It is necessary to carefully prescribe the ointment to patients with impaired renal function and elderly patients, especially if it is necessary to apply the ointment to large areas of the skin or to areas with compromised integrity of the skin.
As a rule, both types of ointment are well tolerated by patients. However, in some cases, the use of external ointment may experience such side effects:
- Very rarely and in exceptional cases - angioedema, urticaria, generalized (affecting a large surface) rash, anaphylaxis (edema, asphyxiation).
- Infrequently - at the site of application swelling, dry skin, erythema (abnormal reddening of the skin), tingling.
- Often - a burning sensation at the site of application.
With prolonged use of the drug may increase the growth of sustainable microflora.
In therapeutic practice, cases of overdose from the use of external or nasal ointments were not recorded. The toxicity of the main active ingredient is very low.
The drug is prescribed by a doctor. Before use, you must carefully read its instructions. There are several specific instructions for the use of Bactroban ointment, which include:
- Do not apply a large amount of the drug to the skin, as this may lead to the absorption of propylene glycol into the bloodstream, which adversely affects the functional activity of the kidneys.
- It is imperative to pay attention to the conformity of the dosage form to the method of its use, it is not allowed to use the ointment for external use intranasally. In case of application to the skin of intranasal ointment, its therapeutic efficacy may be insufficient.
- The use of ointment does not affect the concentration of attention and the speed of psychomotor reactions.
- It is important to avoid getting any type of Bactroban ointment on the conjunctiva of the eye. In case of even a small amount of the drug, the eyes should be washed with a large amount of running water and seek medical attention.
In the pharmacy network, the drug is available on prescription. Its independent use is not recommended, since it can lead to the formation of pathogenic (pathogenic) microflora resistant to antibiotics.
In the presence of infectious skin lesions, the ointment is not used simultaneously with other topical bactericidal ointments. This adversely affects the effectiveness of Bactroban and reduces its bactericidal and bacteriostatic effect.
Simultaneously with the reception of nasal Bactroban, it is impossible to use other bactericidal drops for the nose - the interval between taking the medication should be at least an hour.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The shelf life of unopened ointment from the time of its manufacture is 1.5 years. After the tube has been printed, the shelf life of the ointment is 2 weeks. Keep the drug must be out of the reach of children, dark and dry place with air temperature no higher than + 25 ° C.